What are the benefits of acupuncture?
- Focuses on drug-free pain relief
- Can be effective in the treatment of acute and chronic ailments as shown in research studies which have been collated in the Acupuncture Evidence Project.
- Takes an holistic approach by addressing the underlying cause of the condition, as well as the symptoms. The approach links body, mind and emotions.
- Assists in the prevention against disease and the maintenance of general well-being.
Is there any evidence that acupuncture works?
YES, The Acupuncture Evidence Project was published in 2017. It is a review of the evidence supporting the efficacy of acupuncture currently available.
Evidence of effect was found at various levels for 117 conditions.
Among the 117 conditions, the effectiveness of acupuncture included:
- Acute low back pain
- Chronic low back pain
- Neck pain
- Knee osteoarthritis
- Allergic rhinitis (perennial & seasonal)
- Chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (with anti-emetics)
- Migraine prophylaxis
- Nausea & Vomiting (Postoperative)
- Headache (tension-type and chronic)
- Postoperative pain
- Acute stroke
- Insomnia, perimenopausal and postmenopausal
- Asthma in adults
- PTSD (post-traumatic stress disorder)
- Hypertension (with medication)
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Menopausal hot flushes
- And more…
What is the difference between acupuncture and dry needling?
|Minimum 4 Year Bachelor Degree||48 -72 hour course|
|CMBA Registered Practitioners||None registered by CMBA|
|Holistic – balance of body, mind and spirit||Puncture painful muscle areas|
|Mandatory Continuing Professional Development for registration||No continuing professional development as non registered|
|No continuing professional development as non registered||Unknown standards|
|Professional Indemnity Insurance for acupuncture is mandatory||May NOT be covered for dry needling|